Friday, February 12, 2010

Let There Be Light

This morning I went out on the front porch and looked toward the south.


Then I looked toward the north.


And what did I see?

A strange substance bathing the atmosphere. SUNSHINE! And blue sky! Wow! Let us rejoice and be glad!

Well, that was a lot of exclamation points, but it's been a while since we've seen the sun. Like most everyone else, we're getting winter this year in full measure. This beautiful day of sunny reprieve was balm to my spirits, making it so much more delightful to be puttering about the house doing laundry and writing and baking bread. I try to simply accept the weather and all other things beyond my control for what they are, but sunshine is definitely good for the soul.

When I was out on the porch taking the pictures and basking for a moment, I reminded myself that not too far away are days when the summer sun will be beating down and driving us to retreat from it. Today the sun's light is warm and expansive, and I am grateful. In summer the sun's heat is sometimes oppressive, but I love it then, too. It's always changing, and always what it should be.

It was a jewel of a day, perhaps the only one for another week if I saw the forecast graphic correctly. I'll just file it away in my memory until the next one. It will come.

***A farmification note. Those little black spots in the view to the north are cows. I'm still getting used to hearing the occasional mooing when I go outside. You know you're in the country when your nearest neighbors are animals.

No comments: