- Work was untroubled and productive.
- The weather was sunny and bright.
- I actually liked my clothes today (my favorite funky clogs, jeans that fit, black turtleneck, houndstooth jacket, berry pink scarf).
- We reviewed the first draft of our house plans over lunch.
- I was asked if I would be interested in another bookkeeping gig in the next few months. Kind of a job...inquiry, if you will.
- I was also approached about a catering gig in June.
- On the way home, My Beloved and I checked out all the old farmhouses on our route and detoured for more, seeking to refine our ideas of how our dream home should look.
- The parents-in-law liked the ideas we hatched for our house.
- We were all in the kitchen together frying up burgers made from our own good beef and then laughing around the dinner table--mother-in-law included.
- MiL's recovery from knee replacement surgery is accelerating enough that she is more her lively self in spirit.
- Now we have two hours of leisure tucked away in the study. Beloved is drawing. I'm recording the bliss while music plays.
Life is full of these surprises and always seeks balance. There's no way to predict when the good stuff will arrive like an unordered package and no way to know when the bad things will wallop you blindside. Admonish yourself that after an ecstatic peak, there will be a valley. But also rest assured when frustrations and irritations are building up tectonic force in your psyche, that a day of joyful release is coming. Let faith sustain you through the bad times and savoring extend the good times as they chase each other through your life. There is always both blessing and burden.
Like right now. I have a good day glow and a growing headache, yin and yang here and now embodied. Tonight I gracefully accept the opposing forces and allow them the passage they will take anyway. I am able to cooperate with life's weather in this moment. It's easier on the good days.
My rosary list from this day will be fingered again at bedtime in our shared nightly gratitude ritual. But even when I'm not feeling cooperative, I make a list of things to be grateful for anyway, just as I do on the good days. Because they all really are in some way or other. I know it and honor it even when I can't feel it. Tonight I get both.