Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow Day




These photos show one of the reasons we've uprooted ourselves from a convenient life and relocated to the country.

Right now, there's a lot of running back and forth to move and store our belongings and to transport my son to school and activities in another county, with moments when I wonder if we really know what we're doing. This morning, after a breakfast of local farm eggs and father-in-law's local hog sausage and my own whole wheat bread, we walked the perimeter of the hay field behind the parents-in-law's house in the quiet and loveliness of fresh snow, and I knew. Experiencing this kind of soft beauty with anything like regularity is worth it. These sweet moments renew our determination to someday have our own farm, even though it will take much effort, time, money, and patience. We've traded in convenience and conservatism for the chance to realize a dream. We go forward on faith.

Yesterday I discovered a quote from Martin Luther King Jr that says it all for us. He said "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." We can't see how we'll accomplish all the steps between us and the beautiful vision to which we hope we're climbing upward. There is no knowing. There is only daring.

As my husband said when I shared the quote with him, "Race you up the stairs."

No comments: